Back in Business

Hello to anyone out there who might still be checking in here at Erdmania. I apologize for not writing anything of late, but I’ve been trying to figure out what to write about. I don’t want this to turn into a journal of my day-to-day activities, not only because it would be boring but also because that would leave me very little to talk to people about on the phone or in person. Now that I’m not on the ship, with limited phone and email capabilities, it seems silly to keep you updated on my every move.

That being said, I miss posting things, so I’m going to take a stab at doing something at least. We’ll see what happens.

First of all, to sum up the past week and a half since I’ve been home, it’s been great to be back. I’ve loved getting to see friends and acquaintances again; I don’t think I had appreciated all the great people and things to do in Chicago as much as I do now. I also started on mainstage last Wednesday. I was extremely nervous, more so than any time I’d understudied a show in the past, but it’s been going well I think. The cast couldn’t be nicer or more supportive. I’m really looking forward to working with them all and creating a show with them.

So what else have I been doing? Adjusting, I guess. It’s been a little weird having all my stuff and my relatively huge apartment at my disposal once again. I don’t seem to remember what I used to do with my free time at home, so I’ve spent days organizing photos from the cruise, sending a lot of emails, and finding errands to run. People have asked me if I miss the ship, and I do. I think it worked perfectly, that I got to leave at a time when I would still miss it, and that I got to come home to a wonderful new opportunity.

The day I got home, Rich noticed a bird’s nest outside one of our living room windows (we’re on the 3rd floor). There were 3 little blue eggs in it, and eventually a bird came and sat on them. A few days later, there was a 4th egg, and now we’re checking in every few hours to see if the eggs have hatched. I did a little research (see “what else have I been doing,” above), and found out that it’s a robin (which we figured from the blue eggs, but I just had no idea what a robin actually looked like), and that the eggs take about 12 days to hatch. I’ve been home for about 10, so it could be any time now. I also read that robins like to eat grapes, cherries, and tomoatoes. We had some tomatoes which I wanted to set out on the window sill, but I was afraid the mother would chirp out some sort of call and my arm would get attacked by a swarm of robins.

And speaking of eggs hatching, my step-brother Brent and his wife Kim are the proud parents of Jorja Marie, born on Monday, May 23rd, which of course is Victoria Day in Canada. That poor kid’s going to get a lot of joint Victoria Day/birthday gifts as she grows up.

Comments are closed.